An easy, family-friendly chicken dish that features the sweetness of baked onions. Try it; this dish will become an all-time favorite.
My friend Malki told me all about her "easiest ever" family favorite: onion soup mix chicken. I just had to try it. She literally uses just onion soup mix, but I've added a few other steps and adapted it to indulge my baked onion cravings.
Make sure to make a big batch of my DIY Onion Soup Mix before making this recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix olive oil and 1 tablespoon onion soup mix.
- Add onions and stir in olive oil and onion soup mixture.
- Place about a quarter of the onions on the bottom of prepared pan.
- Rinse chicken pieces, pat dry and place on top of onions in pan.
- Season chicken with remaining 2 tablespoons of onion soup mix, paprika and pepper.
- Scatter remaining onions and olive oil mixture on and around chicken, making sure to drizzle some of the remaining oil over chicken skin.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is browned.
If you have enough time, slice an additional onion and stuff a few slivers under the skin of each piece of chicken.