Editor's Note: These Baklava Bites are a creative change from traditional Baklava. The gorgeous bouquet presentation is sure to impress a crowd!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pack phyllo dough
- 2 lbs. of walnuts
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup melted coconut oil (or margarine)
- 4 tablespoons of chopped pistachios for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon rose water
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Prepare the syrup: place sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Allow the syrup to boil for 10 minutes until it is a light, syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and stir in the rose water. Set aside to cool.
3. Pulse the walnuts in a food processor with sugar and cinnamon until nuts are finely ground. Melt the coconut oil and set aside.
4. Remove the phyllo dough from its packaging, and place a clean damp cloth on top to keep them from drying out. Place one sheet horizontally on your work surface, and brush all over with melted oil. Place another sheet on top and brush with oil.
5. Cut down the middle of the phyllo dough horizontally. Spoon 3 tablespoons of the walnut mixture into a line, 1/2-inch up from the seam. Roll the dough over the walnuts and continue rolling into a long log. Brush the logs again and set aside.
6. Repeat this process until all of the walnut filling is used up. Using a sharp knife, cut the arranged logs into bite-sized fingers, about 2.5 inches long. Place 3 pieces in a mini muffin tin or a pie dish for a more family style approach. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven, and immediately pour the syrup into the cracks between the rows of baklava, and all around the edges. Sprinkle toasted chopped pistachios all over the top. Serve hot from the oven, or at room temperature.