Beef stew with artichokes made in a slow cooker is the perfect antidote to a cold winter day or a prep ahead Fall weekday dinner.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2½ pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-in cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon dill weed
- 2 jars (6½ oz each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 20 small fresh mushrooms, halved
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a shallow bowl or large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and toss to coat. In a skillet, brown beef in oil. Transfer to a crock-pot with slotted spoon.
- Gradually add broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil; stir to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in the onions, wine or broth, garlic and dill. Pour the mixture over the beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or until the meat is nearly tender. Stir in the artichokes and mushrooms; cook 30 minutes longer or until heated through Serve over noodles.
This recipe can be doubled and made in the oven in a large roasting pan.