- 1 1/2 pounds beets red, yellow, the candy-striped Chioggia, or a mixture
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, roasted
- 2 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives, plus a few whole chives for garnish
- 1 Teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
1 Place beets in a medium pot and cover with water.
2 Cover, bring to a boil, and cook 15 to 25 minutes, until a beet is easily pierced with a fork.
3 Drain, let cool, and use a pairing knife and fingers to slide off skins.
4 Cut beets into bite-sized pieces and place in a large salad bowl. Add almonds, olive oil, chives, lemon juice and salt, and toss gently.
5 Sprinkle with feta if using, lay whole chives across salad as garnish, and serve.
Source: Almond Board of California