- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1/2 ripe medium avocado, peeled and pitted 1/2
- 2 Tbsp canola mayonnaise 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp water 15 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves 60 mLBurgers:
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained 1
- 1/2 of 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained 1/2
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper 125 mL
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats 75 mL
- 2 large egg whites 2
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper .5 - 1 mL
- canola oil cooking spray
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted 4
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion 60 mL
- 4 tomato slices 4
- 4 lettuce leaves 4
- 4 lime wedges (optional) 4
1 Place canola mayonnaise ingredients in a blender, secure lid, and puree until smooth.
2 Place beans in a gallon-size resealable bag. Using a meat mallet, pound beans to a coarse texture, resembling lumpy mashed potatoes. Place beans in a medium bowl and add bell pepper, oats, egg whites, canola oil, and cayenne pepper.
3 Mix well and shape into four patties.
4 Coat a large nonstick skillet with canola oil cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add patties and cook 4 minutes on each side or until they begin to lightly brown. The patties will be fragile, so be sure to turn them gently.
5 To assemble, spoon 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola mayonnaise mixture on each bun half. Top each bottom bun with burger, onion, a tomato slice, and a lettuce leaf. Place bun tops over each. Serve with lime wedges.