Simply braised short ribs, easy, but low and slow is the key. Serve with Mashed Potatoes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 pound beef short ribs, flanken-style preferred
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onoins, coarsely chopped
- 1 bottle red wine
- 4 cup beef broth
Preheat oven to 375℉.
1. Pat the meat dry with paper towels and season well on all sides with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Add the ribs and brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes total.
3. Transfer ribs to a plate and add the onions. Cook onions until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add wine to pot and bring up to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until you have about 1 cup of liquid left in pot.
4. Add the broth and add ribs back to the pot and cover tightly. Place pot in the middle of the oven and cook for about 2½ to 3 hours. The meat should be falling off the bone.
5. Transfer ribs to plate and let cool. Strain the liquid in the pot and return the liquid back to pot. Bring up to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until you have about 2 cups of liquid left. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the bones from ribs and trim. Place ribs on plates and pour sauce over ribs.