This dish is a real winner. So easy to make, yet it tastes as if you spent all day in the kitchen. Serve with mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 pounds short rib or flanken with bone
- 1 onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 large carrot, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, sliced (½ cup)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 ½ cups red wine
- ¼ cup Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all ingredients in 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and braise in oven for 3 ½ hours.
2. Once meat is done, pour gravy out of pan and place in gravy separator to separate the sauce from the fat.
3. Turn oven to broil and place meat under broiler for 5 minutes. Pour strained sauce over the meat and serve immediately.
4. You can also refrigerate the meat overnight and skim the fat off the surface the following day. Reheat and serve.
Note: This dish freezes beautifully.
Nutrition facts for one serving: 565 calories, 39 g fat, 19 g saturated fat, 182 mg cholesterol, 515 mg sodium, 157 mg potassium, 6 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 41 g protein.