This is a great alternative to brisket if everyone is looking for something new. It will still provide the melt-in-your-mouth, fall-apart meat and delicious pan sauces that can be enjoyed over noodles, rice or challah.
Use Grow & Behold Lamb Shanks and Beef Bone Broth for this recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 - 6Servings
- 4 Grow and Behold lamb shanks
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- Olive oil for sauteeing
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 quart Grow and Behold beef bone broth
1. Preheat oven to 250°F .
2. Pat shanks dry, sprinkle with paprika, set aside. Chop 1 clove garlic together with leaves from 1 sprig thyme, and set aside.
3. In a large Dutch oven, sauté onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until they begin to soften (this is called a “mirepoix,” a very common base for soups and stews). Add garlic/thyme muddle, stir, and sauté just until the garlic and herbs become fragrant. Remove mirepoix from pan, reserve, and return pan to heat.
4. Add olive oil, and brown shanks on all sides in pan. After shanks have browned, remove from pan, and deglaze with 1 cup beef broth. Return all ingredients to pan, and add remaining beef broth. Cover and braise in the oven until meat is fork tender, about 2 to 3 hours. When shanks are done, remove from pan, and strain liquid through cheesecloth into a small dish. Serve with warm jus over quinoa.
Recipe by Naf Hanau
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.