This delicious Braised Tofu Provencal is a fancy way to serve tofu: Braised in a white wine sauce with fresh herbs.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (14 oz.) block extra firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, cubed
- 1 small head of garlic, individual cloves peeled
- 1 1/2 cup small tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 4 large sprigs of rosemary
- 4 large sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1/4 cup white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a large oven-safe casserole dish, add all the ingredients, except the herbs. Gently stir to evenly distribute everything, then tuck in the herb springs, so they are well distributed throughout the dish, and partially covered by the ingredients.
3. Place the dish in oven, and braise for about 2 hours, stirring every 20- 30 minutes or so, in order to ensure that all of the tofu is soaking up the delicious roasting liquid, and so the herbs don’t get too crispy. The dish is done when there is very little liquid left in the pan. Remove the large stems left from the herbs and the bay leaves.
This dish is great to make ahead of time, and tastes good warm or cold.