- 6 cups brioche, challah, or egg bread, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup red California seedless grapes
- 3 eggs, large
- 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Brown Sugar Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Place bread cubes in 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle grapes over bread cubes and toss gently to disperse grapes. In medium-sized bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
2 Pour custard mixture over bread cubes. Stir gently, pressing down on any bread cubes that pop up out of the custard mixture. Set bread pudding pan into a larger pan, such as a 9x13-inch pan, or a roaster.
3 Place doubled pan into pre-heated oven, then pour very hot tap water into the outside pan, filling it at least half way. (This is called a hot water bath and will make the pudding creamier.) Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
4 Top of pudding should be golden in spots and lightly puffed. Remove from oven, let cool slightly then serve. Top with brown sugar whipped cream if desired.