- 2 lbs. short ribs
- 1 lbs. flanken
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 46 oz. bottle tomato juice
- 1 14.5 can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In the bottom of a pressure cooker, heat the olive oil then add the onion, short ribs and flanken and brown on all sides. Should take around 10 minutes.
- Add the water, close the pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes. When the pressure comes down, refrigerate the meat for 2-3 hours or freeze for 1 hour. The fat will congeal on the top of the meat and you can skim it off before continuing the process.
- Add the tomato juice and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice and cabbage. Then add the baking soda, stir quickly and let it foam up.
- Place the cover on the pressure cooker and cook for 25 minutes.
- Once the pressure comes down, take off the cover and continue boiling the soup for 1 hour or more. Just keep cooking the soup until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Note: if you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can make this soup in a regular pot. Just boil the soup for 3-4 hours.