Nothing says savory home cooking like the aroma of onions cooking on the stove. I love caramelized onions on everything! In chopped liver, in omelets, on chicken and, of course, in mashed potatoes.
You don't have to make caramelized onions on the stove, we have 4 methods to make your own caramelized onions. Make a big batch and they will become your secret weapon in the kitchen for unbelievable dishes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into ½-inch dice
- 5 tablespoon Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon plus ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1. In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 18 to 20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain well and return to pot.
2. While potatoes are cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt and sauté for 10 to 12 minutes or until softened and browned, stirring constantly.
3. Add onions to drained potatoes and mash with a potato masher until broken down but leaving some lumps. Stir in broth, garlic powder, remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
4. Serve immediately or cover to keep warm.