- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 2 beef shoulder top blade steaks (flat iron) (8 ounces each)
- 12 ounces tomatillos, husks and stems removed
- 3 or 4 dried chiles de árbol, stems, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground black pepper
- Flour tortillas (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
1 Place tomatillos and chiles in medium saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until tomatillos are just tender, stirring occasionally. Drain.
2 Place tomatillo mixture, 1/4 cup cilantro and garlic in food processor or blender container. Cover; process until finely chopped, but not pureed.
3 Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Set aside.
4 Meanwhile press 1/4 teaspoon black pepper evenly onto beef steaks. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
5 Carve steaks across the grain into thin slices; season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Spoon tomatillo sauce over steak.
6 Serve in flour tortillas, if desired. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.