- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 16 ServingsServings
- canola cooking spray
- 1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 1/2 cup applesauce 125 mL, 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot 375 mL
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces 125 mL
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 375 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 7 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 7 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 7 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/3 cup canola margarine, softened 75 mL
- 1 (4oz/125g) pkg cream cheese, softened 1
- 2 cups icing sugar 500 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla 5 mL
- 1 Tbsp orange juice 15 mL
- 1 tsp grated orange peel 5 mL
1 Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 13x9 inch (3.5L) rectangular pan with canola cooking spray.
2 In a smaller bowl, whisk sugar, canola oil, applesauce and eggs until smooth. Stir in grated carrot and walnuts.
3 In large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
4 Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture, and mix just until flour is moistened. Spread the batter in prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan set on wire rack.
5 For frosting: cream margarine and cream cheese together. Adding icing sugar, vanilla and enough orange juice to make a fairly stiff icing.
6 Ice cake and sprinkle with orange peel. Chill to set icing.