- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, fresh, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup parsley sprigs, flat leaf, tightly packed
- 2 tsp sage, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup California walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp orange juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 1/2 cups flageolets, or navy beans, cooked and drained (or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked and drained (or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups haricot verts, or green beans, blanched and drained
- 24 Romaine lettuce leaves, small, whole
- 24 California walnut halves, toasted
- Small sprigs basil, parsley or sage (optional, as needed)
- Black pepper, freshly ground as needed
- Coarse salt as needed
1 To make walnut pesto, place basil, parsley, sage, walnuts, cheese and garlic in food processor and process until finely ground.
2 Add juice, then with motor running, slowly add oil and process until mixture is thick and emulsified. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
3 Toss flageolets, black beans and haricots vert together in large bowl.
4 Add pesto and toss to combine and coat evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5 Spoon about 3 tablespoons bean mixture into each of 4 lettuce leaves. Top each with a walnut half and, if desired, garnish with an herb sprig.
Source: Chef Charlie Palmer and California