- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 ServingsServings
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 ½ pounds), unpeeled and cubed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup matzo meal
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons canola or grape seed oil
- For applesauce:
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 15 minutes or until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine applesauce and spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- When potatoes are tender, drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher leaving some lumps. Stir in cheese, egg, matzo meal, chives and salt.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter and carefully place in oil. Flatten to about 1/2-inch thick with a spatula. Repeat to form 4 more latkes in your pan, being careful not to crowd the pan and cook for 4 to 6 minutes. Flip and cook 4 to 6 minutes more or until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve with spiced applesauce.