These are deceptively simply, so on point in flavor and incredible all-year round. There is something so appealing about the cherry preserves and sweet cheese filling peeking through the layers of puff pastry.
If you want to make these in advance, freeze them before baking tightly wrapped in two layers of saran wrap. Preheat your oven, and take these goodies straight from the freezer onto a parchment lined tray. Brush with egg wash and bake according to recipe directions.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 hand piesServings
- 1 sheet (1-pound) puff pastry
- 1 (8-ounce) container quark cheese
- ⅓ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup cherry preserves
- 1 egg, beaten
- Turbinado sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
1. Cut puff pastry into 8 squares.
2. Cut each square into two triangles for a total of 16 triangles.
3. Using a paring knife, cut out small triangles from the center of 8 of the puff pastry triangles.
4. Whisk cheese, sugar, lemon zest and egg yolk together.
5. Fill each triangle with 1 teaspoon cherry preserves and 1 tablespoon cheese mixture.
6. Top with another triangle, use a fork to crimp edges.
7. Place triangles on cookie sheet.
8. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle turbinado sugar on top.
9. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes until puffed and golden.