We like the simplicity of a toast crust for pot pie and it doesn’t hurt that it is healthier than traditional pie crust.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced (or 2 cups frozen pearl onions)
- 1 large. sweet potato (about 1 lb.), diced
- 1 lb. wild mushrooms (oyster, shiitake and/or portobello), diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme, divided
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 chicken breasts, (or 8 thighs) cooked and shredded, or 4 cups shredded leftover chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 4 slices whole wheat bread or small slices from whole wheat baguette
Preheat oven to broil.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large oven proof saute pan, lightly coated with 2 tablespoons evoo, over medium heat. Saute onion and sweet potatoes until medium golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 5 minutes, sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme. Cook for just another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle oat flour over vegetables and stir to combine. Add chicken broth, bring to a simmer, then add chicken and peas. Cook, stirring constantly until thick and creamy. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, remove from heat.
- Lightly brush bread slices with 1 tablespoon evoo and sprinkle with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon thyme. Lay bread on top of chicken mixture, oiled side up. Broil until bread is golden.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 513
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 126 mg
- Fat Content: 17.1 g
- Fiber Content: 7.6 g
- Protein Content: 54.8 g
- Sodium Content: 864 mg
- Sugar Content: 8.7 g