Leftovers freeze well and make great lunches so make a double batch.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ pounds ground chicken or turkey
- 2 (15-ounce) cans beans, such as cannellini black beans and/or navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can white corn niblets
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- Garnish: 3 avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced, fresh torn cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. Heat a medium to large stockpot over medium heat.
2. Add oil, onions, and celery and sauté until just soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and sauté until just fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add chicken. Stir and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until chicken has lost most of its pinkness.
5. Add beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix.
6. Add water to just cover. W. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
7. Uncover, stir well, and cook until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes more.
8. Mix in sun-dried tomatoes, if desired.
9. Top with avocado and cilantro just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 570
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Cholesterol Content: 100 mg
- Fat Content: 27 g
- Fiber Content: 22 g
- Protein Content: 34 g
- Sodium Content: 1000 mg
- Sugar Content: 12 g