Chicken fried steak, a popular dish in the South, is a riff on southern fried chicken, only it’s made with beef. This is my vegetarian version. It’s made with seasoned and floured “meaty” portobello mushrooms cooked to golden brown, crunchy-crusted goodness.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (64-grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 10 large eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15-ml) water
- 6 tablespoons (54-grams) cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons (8-grams) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 tablespoons (9-grams) chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon (15-ml) olive oil or (14-grams) margarine
1. Rinse, trim, and dry the mushrooms.
2. Place 1/4 cup (32-grams) flour in a dish. Place 2 eggs in another dish and beat with 1 tablespoon water.
3. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup (32 grams) flour, cornmeal, parsley, sage, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt in a third dish. Coat the portobellos with the flour.
4. Dip each mushroom into the egg mixture, making sure to coat the entire surface. Then dip into the flour-cornmeal mixture, making sure to coat the entire surface. Place the mushrooms on a cake rack and let them air-dry for at least 15 minutes.
5. Heat about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) vegetable oil (enough to come halfway up the sides of the mushrooms) in a large sauté pan over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough to make a breadcrumb sizzle, fry the mushrooms for about 3 minutes on each side side or until crispy and golden brown.
6. Beat the remaining 8 eggs and the chives in a bowl.
7. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook them, stirring occasionally, until they are almost set but still glossy. Transfer the eggs to serving plates accompanied by a fried mushroom.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS AND VARIATIONS: If the mushrooms are large enough, you can serve the eggs inside of them. If you prefer, fry the eggs in butter for a dairy meal.