A minestrone soup made extra hearty by chicken fillets and kosher breakfast beef.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast fillets, cut into small chunks
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, crushed
- 3-4 slices kosher breakfast beef or turkey pastrami, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (11-ounce) can red kidney beans, or canned navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 1/3 cup small pasta or orzo
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or dill
1. Heat oil in stock pot, add the chicken, onion, garlic and breakfast beef. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring, until chicken is almost cooked.
2. Add celery and carrot and stir over heat 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, beans, water, boullion and pasta and next 4 ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until minestrone is slightly thickened.
5. Stir in oregano and parsley and simmer an additional 5 minutes.