All the comfort of a mushroom barley soup, made into a hearty healthy meal.
You can also use skinless, boneless thighs for this dish which will keep it leaner and easier, but we use the more commonly available thighs in our preparation.
If you want some extra greens, try adding some kale or spinach to just wilt at the end of cooking so it allows you to separate out a portion for those non kale lovers in the house.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-ounces button or cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 bone-in, chicken thighs (skin on or off)
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Coat a large cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed saute pan with 2 tablespoons evoo and set over medium high heat.
- Saute onions, carrots and celery until soft. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook until soft. Top with ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, 2 sprigs thyme, barley and broth to cover. Mix well.
- Arrange the chicken on top of the barley mixture.
- Season chicken with remaining salt, pepper and thyme. Simmer covered for 20 minutes, until barley is mostly soft and there is not much liquid.
- Uncover, place in the oven and roast, for 20 minutes until barley is cooked and chicken is golden. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: per serving
- Calories: 539
- Carbohydrate Content: 49.1 g
- Cholesterol Content: 98 mg
- Fat Content: 27.2 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 26.5 g