This delicious Indian Chicken Sukka dish comes directly from my mother-in-law who lives in India. Hope you enjoy!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 3 tablespoon oil of any kind
- 4 medium Onions, sliced thin (divided) Yellow or Red or both
- 1.5 pound Boneless Chicken, cut into cubes
- 3 medium Tomatoes, cubed Canned diced tomatoes can be used instead
- 1 tablespoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Chili Powder or Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 tablespoon Black Mustard seed (grinded into powder)
- 1/4 tablespoon Black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Fenugreek powder
- 1/4 tablespoon Ajwain seed (grinded into powder)
- 1/4 whole Lemon Juiced
- 1/2 cup Fresh grated coconut
- 2 piece Garlic cloves
This recipe can be done all in a pressure cooker.
There are lots of ingredients in this recipe.
However, to make this simple, prep everything first. So, you can simply add ingredients when required.
I had a few prep bowls ready with the ingredients and it helped the recipe go smoothly and quickly.
1. Add oil to pan
2. Fry 3 1/2 of the onions (reserving 1/2 for the end) till brown
3. Add tomatoes
4. Add chili powder + coriander + cumin + turmeric + mustard seeds ( all powdered)
5. Add black pepper + fenugreek + ajwain powder
6. Add lemon juice
7. Allow ingredients to mix well for a few minutes.
8. Add chicken, close pressure cooker and allow pressure cooker to run.
9. If using a regular pot, simply close the pot and allow chicken to cook. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
10. In a small sauté pan, toast coconut and onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes until you smell the aroma of the coconut. Then, using a blender, food processor, or mortar and pestle, grind it coarsely and add water adding a spoonful at a ime until you achieve the right consistency of a paste. Add to pan and cook till flavors mix (5 minutes). Salt to taste.
Eat over basmati rice or with naan.