A tasty chicken salad makes a nice change for a child's lunchbox.
- Prep Time
- 4 servings ServingsServings
- 1-1/2 cups fusilli pasta
- 1-1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup canned sweet corn niblets
- 12 small cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- A little freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for about 3 minutes until just tender.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl, add the chicken, corn, cherry tomatoes, scallions and sprinkle with toasted sunflower seeds.
- For the salad dressing, simply whisk together all the remaining ingredients.
- Toss the salad with the dressing. You can increase the amount of dressing if you wish.
This salad is packed with nutritious ingredients.
Broccoli is king of the healthy vegetable superstars. It's very rich in antioxidants and helps protect us against cancer. Broccoli should be steamed, as boiling almost halves its vitamin C content.
Pasta is a great energy food full of carbohydrate. Three tablespoons of sweet corn provide one of the 5 portions of fruits and vegetables and chicken is an excellent low fat source of protein.
Seeds are not only full of essential fats but they also contain lots of protein and vital minerals such as calcium, magnesium and zinc as well as vitamin E, so eating seeds every day is a smart move. They are more flavorful if you toast the sunflower seeds in a dry frying pan until golden.
Contributed by:ANNABEL KARMEL
You don't always have to have sandwiches in your child's lunchbox. A tasty salad makes a nice change. It's a good idea to have a very small container where you can put the dressing for the salad so that your child can pour it over his salad just before eating.