Kids will love dipping Apple Pops in pareve salted caramel, chocolate, sprinkles, and nuts.
To give your pops a rustic, fall feel, swap the popsicle sticks for cleaned branches or twigs.
Bringing the caramel to the firmball stage (under 275°F), yields a soft, dipping caramel with a little pull.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 PopsServings
Pareve Salted Caramel:
- ¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 cups chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
- 3 apples, stems removed
- Pareve Salted Caramel
- Chocolate Coating
- Garnish: sprinkles, mini candies, pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts, and chocolate chips
Salted Pareve Caramel:
1. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, sugar, salt, and almond milk. Simmer over medium heat until sugars dissolve, then increase the heat to medium-high.
2. Stirring often, let mixture boil, until it registers between 250°F to 275°F on a candy thermometer.
3. Remove from heat and stir in vegan butter or coconut oil, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Pour into a heatproof container and set aside.
1. Place chocolate in a double boiler over medium-low heat, or in a small heatproof bowl fitted over a small saucepan with an inch of water. Choose a shallow bowl, so that water from the pan does not touch the bottom of bowl.
2. Melt chocolate. Stir it occasionally to prevent it from burning.
3. Once chocolate is melted, remove from heat. Add vegan butter or coconut oil and stir into warm chocolate to melt.
1. Slice apples across into ¼-inch thick slices. Leave out the center section as it contains the core and seeds. You should get about 4 to 5 slices from each apple. Insert a popsicle or lollipop stick into apple slices and set aside.
2. When you are ready to dip and decorate, pat apple slices dry and dip into caramel or chocolate. Drizzle with caramel or chocolate, and decorate with sprinkles, chopped nuts, candies, or pumpkin seeds.
3. Place decorated apple pops on parchment paper lined pan, and place in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes to set chocolate and caramel. Cut apples have a lot of water content and will start to weep quickly, so we recommend eating them as soon as they’re set.