It's as easy as zip, squeeze, babka! Well, it may take a little bit more work than that, but it definitely easier to make the dough this way!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup warm water
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1¾ cups flour
- 13 oz. Nutella
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Open a large zip-top bag and place it on the counter. Add the yeast, water, egg, orange zest, sugar, salt, vanilla and butter. Close the bag and squeeze to mix thoroughly.
- Open the bag and add the flour. Squeeze and knead until the dough is a somewhat even consistency. Place the bag in a bowl of warm water to rise for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough and place on a well-floured surface. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle.
- Spread nutella on the dough, avoiding 1 inch around the edges. Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly.
- Starting from one of the long edges of the dough, roll up the dough into a rope. Cut the dough in half down the middle of the rope. Place one strand on top of the other to create a large X, then twist the remaining ends.
- Place in a greased 8-inch loaf pan, cover and place in a warm part of the kitchen to rise for one hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ / 175℃.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the babka from the oven then place a small sauce pan on medium heat. Add the water and sugar then bring to a simmer. Once sugar is dissolved, brush the syrup on top of the babka.