I must admit that of my collection, my biscotti recipes are the most sought after. And, with good reason! These beautiful cookies combine the light, dreamy flavors of lavender, vanilla, and chocolate—which together create a sublime cookie that will amuse your senses. To release the delicate lavender flavors, rub the lavender between your fingertips, allowing the petals to break up and crumble. Divine!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 25 biscottiServings
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ cup light-tasting olive oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon dried lavender
- 1 cup chopped chocolate chunks, dark or milk chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Have a parchment-lined baking sheet handy. Use an electric mixer to mix together the sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla.
3. Mix for 1 minute on high speed. Add the salt, flour, baking soda, lavender (crush it between your fingertips before adding to batter), and mix on low until a sticky batter forms.
4. Stir in the chocolate. Use wet hands to form the batter into 3 equal-sized logs, about 3 inches wide by 7 inches long. It may be easiest to form the log directly on the parchment paper.
5. Bake the logs for 25 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Use a sharp knife to cut the logs into biscotti sticks, about 10 per log.
6. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F and return the sliced biscotti to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool before serving. Biscotti can be kept in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Shavuot 2015. Subscribe Now.
Want stories like this delivered right to your inbox? Sign up now for our *free* JOY of KOSHER Newsletter.