These crunchy cookies combine the classic winter flavors of chocolate and mint for a treat you won’t be able to stop nibbling!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ sticks vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and whisk together. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream shortening and sugar for 2 minutes or just until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well until fully incorporated. Add peppermint extract and mix well. Slowly mix in dry ingredients and beat on low speed until mixture comes together and forms a ball.
- Scoop out 1-inch balls and roll between the palms of your hands. Place on parchment paper and flatten with fingers or a spatula to about 1/8” thick. Sprinkle cookies with crushed candy and bake 13 to 15 minutes or until set. Cook 5 minutes on sheet pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.