Layer chocolate and pumpkin batters and swirl with a knife to create the gorgeous marble effect. Top with a sprinkling of powdered sugar or a chocolate glaze.
- 16 ServingsServings
- 1 1/2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 3 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice mix
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup soy milk mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Chocolate Glaze or Powdered sugar for serving
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat margarine and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Scrape half the mixture into another bowl
- Make pumpkin batter: Beat the pumpkin into the half of the mixture in the mixer, until well blended. In another bowl, stir together 1 3/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture and beat on low speed just until blended.
- To make chocolate batter: In another bowl, mix remaining 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the cocoa. Add flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the other half of the batter mixture (starting and ending with flour mixture), beating after each addition just until blended.
- Spray and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. Spoon half the pumpkin batter into pan. Spoon half of the chocolate batter over top and repeat with the rest of batters. Gently run the blade of a butter knife around the center of the pan several times, then draw the knife across the width of the pan in 10 to 12 places to swirl batters.
- Bake in a 350° oven until a wood skewer inserted into center of cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cake cool 10 minutes in pan, then invert onto a rack, lift off pan, and cool cake completely.
- Top with powdered sugar or make a quick glaze by mixing 1/2 cup confectioners sugar with 1/4 cup cocoa powder and 1-2 tablespoons soy milk.