Israelis say that chocolate sandwiches area to Israelis what peanut butter sandwiches are to Americas: purely delightful and sugar filled 'witchcraft.' This recipe takes the national sandwich and gives it a new spin or swirl. Instead of spreading chocolate spread on slices of fully baked bread and calling it a day.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 loaf ServingsServings
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup + 1 tsp of light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups of warm soymilk
- 1/4 cup of unsalted margarine (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg (at room temperature)
- 3 3/4 cups of bread flour
- 2/3 cup of chocolate spread
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- Chocolate sprinkles for decoration (optional)
- Start by laying your baking powder flat on a baking sheet.
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
- Cook your baking powder for about 30 minutes.
- Immediately place it in a tightly sealed container to prevent it from absorbing moisture.
- Now start preparing your dough by combining your yeast, the tsp of light brown sugar, and 1\4 a cup of warm soymilk together in a medium bowl.
- Set your mixture aside for 2-5 minutes.
If it doesn’t begin to poof after 5 minutes, your yeast is dead. Discard the contents of the bowl and start making a new batch with a different package of yeast.
- Beat together your margarine, the rest of your warm soymilk and sugar with an electric mixture on a moderate speed for a couple of minutes in a medium sized bowl.
- Add your spices, salt, and egg to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Pour your yeast mixture into the bowl and mix it in to the batter.
- Gradually add 3 cups of flour to the bowl and mix until most of the batter’s liquids are absorbed.
- Add the rest of the flour to your batter.
Your batter is ready when it starts to stick together and is no longer clinging to the sides of the bowl. If your batter seems too sticky, you can gradually add up to an additional 1\3 cup of flour. Your final result should be a smooth ball of dough which should take less than five minutes.
- Place your ball of dough in a greased bowl and let your dough rise in a warm place until it appears to have doubled in size.
This should take about 1.5-2 hours.
- Once your dough has risen, roll it flat on a flour surface creating a large rectangular that should have about 2 feet by 1foot dimensions.
- Pour your chocolate spread into a heat proof bowl. In order to have an easier time spreading your chocolate spread on your dough, microwave the bowl for 15 seconds.
- Now that your chocolate spread should be a little less stiff, spread it evenly across the dough while keeping a 1\2 – 1 inch frame around the edges of your dough without chocolate spread.
- Now evenly sprinkle your chocolate chips across the chocolate spread.
- Now roll your dough like you would a deli roll by pushing it away from you. By doing this you should see swirls of dough and chocolate.
- Pinch the two ends of your dough "log" and the final layer of your swirl into the rest of your log in order to prevent it from unraveling.
- Spray a large loaf pan.
- Twist your log of dough slightly, creating spirals out of your singular log of dough.
- Place one end of your log on the bottom of your loaf pan.
- Now wrap around the dough creating a U in your loaf pan.
- Place the remaining part of your dough the middle of your U and pinch its end into the U's edges.
Do your best to try to make your loaf as smooth as possible. Your final shape should look a bit like a knot before you smooth it over.
- Place a clean dish towel over your loaf of chocolate swirl bread and let it rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- When the 30 minutes are over, combine your baking powder with 1/4 cup of water. Be sure to mix well for the wash to work.
- Generously brush your baking powder mix over the breads surface and let it rise for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Clean you brush and brush clean water over your bread. Do this a few times, and clean your brush in between because the baked baking powder tastes disgusting. You’re using it as a part of the wash for the sake of science not flavor, so be sure to remove it thoroughly.
- If using, sprinkle chocolate chips on top of your loaf of bread.
- Bake your chocolate swirl bread for 20 minutes at the center of your oven.
- Cover your bread carefully and loosely with aluminum foil for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve fresh from the oven with a sharp bread knife.