Juicy chicken legs are flavored with crisp apple cider, tart lemon and sweet potatoes. Hearty and comforting, this dish also reheats very well.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 chicken legs and thighs, separated
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into thick slices
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups apple cider
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig rosemary (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken pieces and sweet potato, in batches, salting potatoes in the pan, until caramelized and golden on all sides. Transfer browned chicken and potatoes to a plate.
- To the pan, add onion and saute until browned, being sure to scrape up all the brown bits stuck to the pan (that’s the big flavor!) Add garlic and cook until fragrant and soft, about 1 minute.
- Add cider, broth, lemon and rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken and sweet potatoes back to the pan. Transfer pan, uncovered, to preheated oven and roast for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve chicken and sweet potatoes with steamed broccoli or cauliflower or other favorite veg.
- Calories: 336
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 22 g
- Sodium Content: 280 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g