The trick to cooking a perfect burger is to keep the flipping to a minimum, don't be tempted to flip too early or it is likely to stick to the grill.
Don't miss my 9 Burger Recipes including veggie and fish burgers to suit everyone's needs.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 burgersServings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1½ pound ground beef
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 sesame buns, split
- 4 leaves Boston lettuce, washed
4 tablespoon special sauce
- 4 slices heriloom tomatoes
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté 10 to 12 minutes or until caramelized and translucent. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine onions with ground beef. Divide into 4 portions and form into ½-inch thick patties.Season both sides lightly with pepper.
- Cook burgers on a preheated grill for 8 minutes per side for medium rare or about 12 minutes per side for medium or longer depending on desired doneness.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Place each burger on a sesame bun with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 tablespoon Special Sauce, and a slice of tomato.
TIP: When making burgers, remove the ground meat from the fridge about 20 minutes before forming into patties. Resist the urge to over handle while trying to form perfect-looking burgers. Over handling will cause the meat to toughen.