This classic grilled cheese is probably my favorite and is made with our homemade cheese slice on Sourdough Pullman. As far as the homemade cheese goes, we were having issues finding a cheese with great flavor and a creamy meltable consistency. After some research we adapted a Mac and Cheese sauce to suit our needs. We added cream cheese to add a bit of tang. Some ketchup on a sandwich like this is perfect because it cuts through the richness of the cheese. Personally I douse it in sriracha sauce for some sweet heat.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sodium citrate
- 2/3 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon iota carrageenan
- 1 2/3 cups sharp cheddar
- 3 1/3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 slices of bread, such as Sourdough Pullman
- Optional: American cheddar and cream cheese
1. Heat water on high heat to a simmer, whisk in the powders, then slowly whisk in the cheeses and cream cheese till emulsified.
2. Pour into a container and chill over night. The consistency when hot should be like hot molten cheese. When it chills it is like spreadable cheddar.
3. Grill the sandwich over medium-high heat with a shmear of mayo to give it a nice crust and to warm the cheese, which will give the sandwich a crunchy exterior with a molten interior.
Quicker and simpler basic grilled cheese blend: slice of American cheddar and smear of cream cheese.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Shavuot 2014 SUBSCRIBE NOW