crust bakes perfectly every time. Egg yolks make the dough pliable and smooth. Sugar and lemon juice make a tender dough that is never tough. This pie crust can be made ahead weeks in advance and frozen until needed.
- Prep Time
- 2 (9-inch) CrustsServings
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted8 ounces (2 sticks or ½ pound) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into ½ -inch cubes1 teaspoon kosher salt3 tablespoons sugar5 tablespoons ice-cold water2 egg yolks2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add flour, butter, salt, and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment or food processor. Mix/process on low until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk ice water, egg yolks, and lemon juice together. With the motor on lowest setting, add egg mixture and process until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces and flatten with your hand to a disc. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out, or freeze for 5 weeks