You can also use this Classic Pita recipe to make laffa, a Middle Eastern flatbread: once dough rises, separate into chunks, roll out dough and grill on hot baking tray in 500 ̊F oven. Black caraway seeds can be found in Middle Eastern specialty stores.
Whole Wheat Version: Use 1½ cups whole wheat flour and 1½ cups all-purpose flour for a healthier version of pita.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon black caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine yeast and sugar and add warm water. set aside in a warm place to allow the yeast to foam and activate.
2. Mix flour, caraway seeds (optional) and salt in bowl, add the yeast mixture, and then the additional water, and mix until combined.
3. Pour about ¼ cup flour onto surface, knead dough until no longer sticky.
4.Pour oil into bowl.
5. Place dough in the bowl and coat with oil.
6. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
7. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface.
8. Preheat oven to 500 ̊F.
9. Place baking trays in oven to get hot. Use at least two trays so you can bake all pitas at once. it is important for the trays to be very hot.
10. Roll dough into a rope and pull off about 10-12 pieces. Form into balls.
11. Place on a lightly floured surface, covered for ten minutes.
12. Roll out balls using a rolling pin, on lightly floured surface.
13. Take out hot trays. Spray with oil.
14. Place rolled out dough onto trays and place on bottom of oven.
15. Bake for 3 minutes. open oven, turn over pita, and bake for another three minutes