Coconut flour makes this cake melt in the mouth and is a tasty treat for anyone. You can use dessicated coconut for this recipe, which will produce a normal sponge cake texture, but coconut flour creates a less airy but still extremely light pound cake. As with all gluten free baking, this recipe really does taste best with butter.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
For the cake
- 3.5 ounce Doves Farm gluten-free self raising flour
- 2.5 ounce coconut flour I use Tiana brand
- 6 ounce caster sugar I think this is called superfine sugar in the US
- 6 ounce butter or margarine butter is always best for flavour
- Juice and finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 5 tablespoon water
- 0.5 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the frosting
- 8 ounce icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 tablespoon butter/margarine
- zest of 1.5-2 limes as required
- 3 ounce dessicated coconut to decorate
Grease and line a rectangular flan dish with baking parchment.
Put the flours, sugar, butter/marg, xanthan gum, baking powder, water and eggs in a bowl and combine with an electric whisk, till smooth. Add the lime juice and zest and combine.
Use a spatula to spread the mixture into the cake tin. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 30 minutes.
Leave to cool.
Once cooled, combine the icing sugar, lime juice and margarine, adding a little water to mix if necessary. Spread over the top of the cake. Sprinkle the dessicated coconut over to cover the cake fully.
Cut into squares and serve.