- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 8 oz whole-wheat fusilli (spiral) pasta
- 2 C cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1 large green bell pepper, rinsed and sliced in pieces 1/4 inch wide by 2 inches long
- 1/2 C red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, rinsed and shredded finely or sliced into small chunks (about 1 C)
- 1 can (151/2 oz) low-sodium chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and cut into thin strips (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ? tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 C shredded parmesan cheese
1 In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
2 Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for the shortest recommended time, about 8–9 minutes. Drain. Rinse pasta under cold running water to cool, about 3 minutes.
3 Place all the vegetables and beans in a large salad serving bowl. Season with basil, salt, and pepper.
4 Add the cooled pasta.
5 Combine olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl. Mix until completely blended. Pour over vegetables and pasta. Mix gently until well coated.
6 Divide into four equal portions. Top each with 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese.