Cranberry apple pie - an improvement on the classic favorite.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 prepared pie crusts (for bottom and top)
- 5 large Golden Delicious apples
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Peel, core and thinly slice apples; toss with lemon juice. Add raisins, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cranberries, sugar and flour to apples.
3. Put apple mixture in pie shell; cover with top crust.
4. Mix egg and water; brush over top of pie; sprinkle with sugar.
5. Place sheet of foil underneath pie plate; crimp edges to form rim to catch any drips during baking. Cover pie loosely with a tent of foil.
6. Bake for 40 minutes.
7. Remove foil from top of pie; bake 30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crust is nicely browned.
8. Cool pie slightly on wire rack to serve warm or cool completely to serve later.