Move over traditional baklava! This dairy dish uses cranberries and pears to reinvent an old favorite.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 20 peicesServings
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 Anjou pears, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- 1 1/2 cups toasted and finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries (6-ounces)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 package (8-ounces) phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter a 9x13-inch pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, using a hand mixer whip cream cheese and pears until smooth. Add honey, eggs and lemon peel; mix until well blended. Set aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine hazelnuts, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
4. Cut phyllo dough in half to create a 9x13 inch rectangle. Cover with damp cloth.
5. Layer 10 sheets on the bottom of the buttered 9x13-inch pan, brushing each layer with butter.
6. Pour half cream cheese mixture over phyllo dough and sprinkle with 1 1/4 cups spice mixture.
7. Place 7 sheets phyllo over spice mixture, brushing each layer with butter. Top with remaining cream cheese mixture.
8. Place another 7 sheets of phyllo on top, brushing each layer with butter. Sprinkle remaining spice mixture over buttered top.
9. Bake at 300°F for 45-60 minutes until golden brown and center is set.
10. Cool, cut, and store in airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve/eat.