This spicy chutney is a welcome alternative to canned cranberry sauce. The sweetness of pears balances the flavors and ginger adds an exotic spark.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 pounds firm pears, peeled and cut to a medium diced
- 1 bag fresh cranberries
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Pinch of salt
1. Combine vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and salt in a medium non-reactive pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Add the pears and cook until just tender. The pears should retain some firmness.
2. Strain the pears and remove them to a bowl. Return the liquid to the pot.
3. Add the cranberries to the pot and cook covered over medium heat until the berries begin to pop.
4. Strain the cranberries and add them to the pears.
5. Return the liquid to the pot and reduce over medium-high heat to about 1/2 a cup. Stir in the cranberries and pears and let cool.
Store chutney in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days.