With all the salads I’ve created in my career, somehow I never did a wedge salad. Creamy Wedge Salad with Homemade Croutons is posh, fab and so simple, it’s a crime not to try it. The cool thing here is that it’s literally just a wedge; no crazy salad chopping for hours to create this wow dish.
That gives you time for the croutons and dressing. I really love homemade croutons, and making these at home saves you a little “bread” (as in cash). Instead of going with a bottled dressing, try this fresh-baked garlic dressing. Yes, I said baked. Believe me, your mouth will water while the garlic is in the oven.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 2 small heads garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup cubed day old bread
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup regular or light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain soy or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, cut into wedges
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup diced red onion
Preheat oven to 400°F.
1. Place garlic and 1 tablespoon evoo on a large square of foil. Wrap tightly and bake for 45 minutes or until soft. Let cool.
2. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons evoo in a medium skillet. Add bread and sauté over medium high heat, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and set aside.
3. In a small bowl or jar, combine mayonnaise, soy milk, vinegar and pepper. Squeeze cooled roasted garlic with your hand so the softened cloves come out like a paste. Add to mixture and whisk to combine or shake in a jar with a lid until smooth. Can be made 1 day ahead – if too thick, thin with a few drops of water to reach desired consistency.
4. To serve, place wedges of lettuce on salad plates. Divide tomatoes, onion and croutons between plates. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.