Gluten free crepes are easily made with potato starch and gluten free flour, then you can fill with your favorite filling, here I share a lemon curd filling with fresh fruit, a classic for a reason.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 crepes ServingsServings
Lemon Curd Filling
- 3 large egg yolks
- 6 tbsp. granulated sugar
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup assorted fresh berries
Lemon Curd Filling:
1. In a small saucepan whisk together yolks, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Set over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until mixture is thick and lemon colored. Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, one piece at a time, stirring until consistency is smooth.
2. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to avoid a skin from forming and wrap tightly. Refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour.
1. In a small bowl, blend eggs, water, and butter; set aside. In a separate bowl combine flour, potato starch, salt, and sugar.
2. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet until smooth. The batter should be thin; if it’s too thick, add more water.
3. Heat a small frying pan over medium-high heat without oil for at least 1 minute or until the pan is hot. This will help keep the crêpes from sticking.
4. Add a little oil (about ½ tsp.) and swirl it around the pan.
5. Add about ¼ cup batter (depending on how large or thick you want your crêpes), tilting the pan this way and that to distribute the batter and create a round crêpe.
6. Allow the batter to cook at least 1 minute or until small holes break out over the surface and the edges are crisp.
7. Flip the crêpe and cook the other side briefly. Add about 2 tsp. of lemon curd filling per crêpe and top with assorted fresh berries. Flip over half, as you would an omelet, allowing the lemon filling to disperse.
8. Add a little oil to the pan before making each new crêpe.
Originally published in Gluten Free Around The World