This delicious crumb cake just screams Summer. When you have lots of blueberries around make this cake and serve it with your morning coffee.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- Rounded ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1½ sticks (¾ cup) plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter or margarine, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream (or non dairy substitute)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups fresh blueberries (15 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Blend 1½ sticks butter into the flour with your fingertips or a pastry blender just until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps.
- Transfer 1½ cups flour mixture to another bowl for crumb topping.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar to crumb topping, then blend with your fingertips until large lumps form.
- Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla, then add to remaining flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in blueberries and spread batter, distributing berries evenly, in a buttered 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle batter evenly with crumb topping.
- Bake in middle of oven until cake is golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 20 minutes before cutting.