Want to get your kids to eat their veggies? Coat them with their favorite cereal!!! Cap’n Crunch works particularly well as the perfect sweet and crunchy coating.
The vegetables are healthy and the coating is not! There! We said it. We can’t always be good (though we try) and we hope you have as much fun as we did crunching your way through this recipe that undoubtedly came from the garden of good and evil!
Be sure to fry your veggies in good quality EVOO, we love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- veggies serve 6+, dipping sauce yields 1⅓ cupsServings
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 egg whites, whisked with 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cups Crunch cereal with a Cap’n as an iconic figure, crunched up!
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 1 handful green beans
- Several carrots, cut into ½-inch thick sticks
- Several zucchini, cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 sweet potato, peeled or not (the peel is healthy!) cut into ¼-inch thick rounds
Spicy Maple Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce (Asian hot sauce)
1. Line a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels.
2. Place flour with salt and pepper on a large piece of parchment paper (makes for easier clean-up).
3. Place whisked egg whites in a shallow bowl or pie pan.
4. Place crunchy iconic cereal on a large piece of parchment.
5. Heat oil to 360°F.
6. Dip veggies into flour, then egg whites, and finally cereal and then fry, a few pieces at a time, until golden and crispy on all sides.
7. Sprinkle cooked veggies with salt.
Spicy Maple Dipping Sauce:
1. Whisk ketchup, syrup, and Sriracha together and place in serving cup.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.