This sauce has a lot of ingredients, but the resulting flavor is so worth it and it should last in the fridge a few weeks. We have enjoyed it on burgers and chicken, it would probably be good on anything anytime.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 cups ServingsServings
- 1 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron, crumbled into 1 tablespoon of water
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons Silan date honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
In a small bowl, combine the coriander with the cumin, paprika, ginger, cinnamon and black pepper.
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and minced garlic and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the spice mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the water, saffron water and cayenne pepper and simmer over high heat until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Add the silan and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and season the sauce with salt and black pepper.