From Joy of Kosher – winning chulent recipe. One 18 Quart roaster oven (crock-pot) full of this chulent can feed approx 50 people gathered for a lunch simcha! (65 people if they ate a lot at Kiddush) Helpful hint – extend the life of your roaster oven by setting up a Shabbos clock to shut off the oven after the chulent has been removed so its thermostat doesn’t get too much use when nothing is in the oven.
- Prep Time
- 50 ServingsServings
- 6 lb Potatoes, cubed
- 2 large Onions, chopped
- 3 bags Barley
- 2 bags cholent beans
- 5 lb Cheek Meat (holds up well and doesn’t dry out)
- 1 1/2 cups Sweet and Sour Duck Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Osem Beef Soup Mix
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 Tablespoons Garlic Pepper Blend (McCormick spice mix, or substitute similar spices)
- Spray Roaster insert liberally with cooking spray.
- In the bottom of the pan, place a layer of 1/2 of the cubed potatoes and onions.
- Spread the beans and barley next.
- Add the duck-sauce and then the meat.
- Season the meat (once inside the pot) with the salt, pepper and beef soup mix.
- Add the remaining potatoes and onions.
- Fill to cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- You want it to be just barely simmering as Shabbos comes in so that it doesn’t overcook.