Don't get me wrong, I love simple tomato Bruschetta, but when I want something different using one of my favorite vegetables I opt for this Eggplant and Tomato Crostini to start my Italian feast.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped eggplant, ½-inch dice
- 2 cups chopped tomato, ½-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices baguette, toasted
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add eggplant and cook 7 to 10 minutes or until slightly softened. Add tomato and cook for 8 to10 minutes more or until tomatoes are broken down and eggplant is softened. Stir in balsamic and capers and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in parsley, salt and pepper.
- Spoon a few tablespoons of mixture onto each slice of toasted baguette and garnish each with a basil leaf.