Collards and other dark leafy greens have tons of nutrients, so this vegan dish is healthy and delicious. It makes a great Ethiopian-Jewish addition to your holiday table or a tasty veggie anytime.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 pounds collard greens, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
1. In a food processor, puree 2 chopped onions, 4 cloves garlic and 1 tablespoon fresh ginger.
2. In a large pan heat 1/4 cup oil; sauté the onion mixture. Cook until softened, for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the 2 pounds collards (they will reduce when cooked) and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook for 20 minutes while stirring, until collards are soft.
4. Add water as needed so collards don't dry out completely and scorch pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally.
5. For extra spiciness, add 1 chopped jalapeno, if you like. Serve with injera or rice.