These macaroons, the quintessential Passover confection, are called "forgotten" because you leave them in the oven overnight. They cook in the retained heat. You can dip them in high-quality melted dark chocolate if you like.
So much better than store-bought and super simple to make, these treats take 15 minutes to prepare. That's it! You don't even have to watch them. Initial oven temperature is important, though, so you may want to make a small investment in an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is heating correctly.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 macaroonsServings
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups coconut flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets with non-stick baking spray.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg whites for approximately 9 minutes or until they stand in stiff peaks, then continue to beat for another 3-4 minutes as you slowly add the sugar. Don't worry if the sugar doesn't dissolve completely.
3. Beat in salt and vanilla. Stir in the coconut.
4. Scoop heaping teaspoons of mixture and drop onto prepared cookie sheets.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and then turn oven off. Leave macaroons in oven overnight or for about 9 hours.
In the morning, remove macaroons from cookie sheets.
6. Store in sealable plastic bags or in airtight containers until serving.
Oven temperature is crucial here; it's like the 3 little bears and needs to be just right. So you may want to invest in an oven thermometer in order to be precise.