If you like French onion soup and gruyere cheese, you will love these. These latkes are delicious with or without the cheese.
You can cook these latkes ahead and bake in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 large yellow onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ lb potatoes, cleaned
- ¾ cups matzo meal
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup shredded gruyere
1. Fry the onions in 1 tablespoon evoo on low heat until caramelized, at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Grate the potatoes in a food processor and place in a large towel. Squeeze out all the water from the potatoes into a small bowl; allow potatoes to settle for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine the grated potatoes with the caramelized onions, eggs, cheese, matzoh meal, salt, and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
4. Heat frying pan with remaining 1 tablespoon evoo. Once hot, drop large tablespoonfuls of potato mixture and flatten with spatula. After 4 to 6 minutes flip to cook both sides until golden. If they are not sticking together well, add more eggs to the rest of the batter.